The January/February 2023 issue of African Birdlife features some light-hearted holiday reading and, as always, a variety of spectacular images.
Among the highlights:
- It was photographer Thinus van Staden’s long-held dream to see the African Broadbill. He finally achieved it and he also came away with an admirable set of images of the male’s display flight.
- In a dramatic sighting of a battle between two heavyweights of the bird world, Schalk V. Burger captured the moments as a Martial Eagle and a Kori Bustard faced off in the Kgalagadi.
- Renowned author, photographer and naturalist Hugh Chittenden shares a portfolio of some of his favourite bird images.
- You don’t have to be crazy to be a birder, but it helps… Vernon Head goes birding, but not as we know it!
- Mike Buckham headed out on a slackpacking adventure in the Eastern Cape and managed to bag a good number of birds, despite attempts of his fellow hikers to derail his efforts.
And a free copy of the Checklist of Birds in South Africa 2023 is included with every magazine!