Field and Stream lies 9 km out of Dullstroom on the Steenkampsberg Plateau in Mpumalanga. Situated in the grasslands, the farm is an ideal getaway for those wishing to enjoy the peace and quiet of a farm, whilst exploring its many treasures on foot or by mountain bike. The farm’s five streams, Witpoort River, and three waterfalls provide a host of opportunities for bird watching walks, swims and picnics. Whilst for those interested in history, the rocky hillsides can be explored for Boer War gun posts and Bushmen Paintings.
Field and Stream have five units to choose from, sleeping from 2 to 10 people each, the farm is ideal for couples, family getaways or group outings. High clearance vehicles are recommended, as Field and Stream is a farm and hence is accessed on a farm dirt road.
With a host of grassland bird species, bird watching is a treat whether sitting on the verandah of your accommodation unit or walking or mountain biking across the farm. A bird list is also available for the farm. Of particular note though are the following:
• A Bald Ibis colony at the waterfall below the second dam.
• A Black Eagle can be seen periodically along the river.
• A pair of Blue Cranes visits the farm annually between August and January.
• A breeding pair of Cape Eagle Owls are sometimes seen in front of the Lodge at night.
• Gurney’s Sugarbird can be seen in the Protea savanna toward the end of summer.